Editorial: The food box in the cartoon refers to a UK scandal in which the government was condemned for giving inadequate food boxes to children in poverty. See:
But the bigger picture is of very meagre provision and opportunities for children all around the world in 2021. These include:
- Because of increased unemployment there will be increased numbers of children in poverty, hungry, homeless...
- More children will be pulled out of school and perhaps forced into marriage.
- Climate change and the ensuing extreme weather will continue to destroy family homes and communities.
- Increased demand for electric car batteries and smartphones will force more children into mines for precious metals and child labour will increase generally to satisfy markets in the West.
- The trend for increased numbers of children displaced from their homes/countries by conflict will continue.
I am not sure whether the world is increasing or decreasing its potential for protecting children. I suspect the latter. What is the situation in your country?
This film gives a version of the future for our children. See how much of it you agree with.